Overall Learning Purpose/Goal
The purpose of the monograph is to provide a continuing education resource to health care providers who encounter patients with sleep problems and are interested in the efficacy and comparative effectiveness of insomnia disorder treatments.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Describe insomnia disorder, its prevalence, and its potential effects on physical and mental health.
- Identify potential psychological interventions, prescription and nonprescription medications, and complementary and alternative medicine treatments for insomnia disorder.
- Describe and discuss what is known about the efficacy and harms of treatments for insomnia disorder.
- Summarize the limitations of the evidence examined in the systematic review.
For Pharmacists: Provide accurate and appropriate counsel as part of the treatment team.
For Registered Nurses: Provide appropriate care and counsel for patients and their families.
The target audience for this learning activity includes all primary care physicians, nurses, pharmacists, mental health providers (e.g., psychiatrists and psychologists), nurse practitioners, physician assistants, medical assistants, health educators, and case managers.
- Case Managers -- maximum of 1.0 clock hours
- Certified Health Education Specialists -- maximum of 1.0 entry-level contact hours
- Nurse Practitioners -- maximum of 1.0 contact hours
- Registered Nurses -- maximum of 1.0 contact hours
- Pharmacists -- maximum of 1.0 contact hours
- Physicians -- maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
Physician Continuing Medical Education
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of Postgraduate Institute for Medicine and Hayes, Inc. The Postgraduate Institute for Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Postgraduate Institute for Medicine designates this activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Pharmacist Continuing Education
Postgraduate Institute for Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
Postgraduate Institute for Medicine designates this continuing education activity for 1.0 contact hour(s) (0.1 CEUs) of the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education. (Universal Activity Number - 0809-9999-15-299-H01-P) Type of Activity: Knowledge
Nursing Continuing Education
This educational activity for 1.0 contact hours is provided by Postgraduate Institute for Medicine. Designated for 0.0 contact hours of pharmacotherapy credit for Advance Practice Registered Nurses.
Postgraduate Institute for Medicine is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Nurse Practitioner Continuing Education
Hayes, Inc. is approved as a provider of nurse practitioner continuing education by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners: AANP Provider Number 140928. This program has been approved for 1.0 contact hours of continuing education. This activity was planned in accordance with AANP Accreditation Standards and Policies.
Case Manager Continuing Education
This program has been pre-approved by The Commission for Case Manager Certification to provide continuing education credit to CCM® board certified case managers.
Term of Approval
Monograph Launch Date: December 30, 2015
Expiration Date: December 29, 2017
Acknowledgement of Support
This educational activity has been funded by AHRQ.