Topic Suggestion Description
Date submitted: November 19, 2013
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- For adult patients (especially the elderly) with non-melanoma skin cancers, what are the compartive risks and benefits of treatment with surgery versus treatment with radiation (either external beam or brachytherapy).
- Describe why this topic is important.
- Over the last few years several manufacturers have developed and aggressively promoted devices for radiation of skin cancers. Usual treatment of non-melanoma skin cancers is by surgival removal or destruction. The medical expense is much greater when treated with radiation ($200 for surgical removal versus $15,000 for radiation. There are two main radiation techniques used, external beam and brachytherapy. A major concern is the potential for extensive radiation exposure that may be unnecessary.
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- A well documented answer will allow Medicare contractors to make policy decisions to allow well considered patient management.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Medicare Contractor Medical Director
- If you are you making a suggestion on behalf of an organization, please state the name of the organization
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program
- Presentations to the Medicare Medical Directors