Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: September 09, 2013
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- The use of a low dosage of methadone to relieve Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS).
- Describe why this topic is important.
- I just read your latest newsletter about RLS and it made no mention of methadone as one of the medicines to treat RLS. I see one of the country's top RLS doctors at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. I've been on every medication, all with side effects, some of which were horrible. At my last appointment 6 months ago, he suggested I try a medicine that has been found to be wonderful for RLS sufferers -- methadone. I was shocked. He talked to me about the bad rap the drug gets and how a very low dose is not only masking the symptoms, it also isn't losing its effectiveness over time. So I started on 5 MG a day and I consider it a miracle. I have had no side effects that I am aware of and I only have to take 1 pill a day. I should mention that I have a pretty severe case so I feel that others should be made aware that this treatment is an option.
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- If this can help me, it can probably help all of the other sufferers that exist. If so, it needs to be either broadcast or further tested for long-term side effects.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Patient - I am an RLS sufferer who has finally been given a drug that works wonders and doesn't seem to have any nasty side effects.
- If you are you making a suggestion on behalf of an organization, please state the name of the organization
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program
- Via my MedLine, Plus email newsletter