An infrastructure upgrade will take place on Friday, December 19 at approximately 2PM Eastern time. Please be aware you may experience temporary issues accessing the site at that point.
Topic Suggestion Description
View Project Status
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: October 15, 2010
Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- This survey would about early warning signs of multiple sclerosis which I documented as late as 2 years before my diagnosis and early as childhood, I am almost finished with a survey. I spent 10 years as Education Director for Kaiser-Permanente in Sacramento and constructed many surveys for physicians. I also worked in health care over 30 years and was diagnosed with MS in 2005.
Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- persons with MS, both old and young, male and female, coexisting condition - hyperacusis.
Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- women, Africac-Americans
Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- Earlier diagnosis of this disease could result in reduction or prevetion of physical and mental disabilities.
Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
Appropriateness for EHC Program
Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- Depression and other mental health disorders
- Functional limitations and disability
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Minority groups
- Individuals with special health care needs, including individuals with disabilities or who need chronic care or end-of-life health care
- Federal Health Care Program
Describe why this topic is important.
- MS is one of the two fastest growing diseases in the US and possibly the world.
What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- Most of the above and the fact the cost Copaxone, one of the most effective treatments for MS went from $1800 to $3200 in less than 2 years.
Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- See above
Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- As soon as possible
Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program
- Oregon Health Sciences University
Oregon Health Sciences University MS Center