Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition (PDF) 135 kB
- 1. Your Nomination - Please briefly describe in your own words the question about a health care test or treatment that interests or concerns you:
- comparison of tight management vs less control among pts with type 2 dm who are hospitalized with blood glucose related illnesses
- 2. Why do you think your question is important? (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
My question relates to a very common disease or problem
People with this disease or problem have considerable health or financial hardships
There is uncertainty about how well the test, treatment, or intervention works
There is significant potential for side effects/harms using this test, treatment, or intervention
Funding of this test, treatment, or intervention is uncertain or variable
There is unequal access or application of this health care intervention across providers
There is potential for cost savings from better information on this subject
This is a new technology/development
There is new evidence of clinical and/or cost effectiveness for this test, treatment, or intervention
Other, please specify
aggressively treating dm among adult type 2 dm patients is a new practice and there are new studies
- 3. What illness or health condition is related to your question? (You can also specify a particular health-promoting activity, such as breast-feeding)
type 2 dm
- 4. What group(s) or patients does your question apply to?
adults with type 2 dm
- 5. What is the specific purpose of the health care test or treatment you have a question about? (mark all that you think apply)
Identification of a disease or condition:
Screening or diagnosis/identification for a particular disease, or risk assessment for a disease
Risks or harms that can come from a disease identification tool or test
Diagnostic tests and tools
Diagnosis of co-occurring diseases
Treatment of a particular disease or condition:
Intervention (such as a drug treatment, therapy, device)
Management of a condition or particular system of care
Delivery of a health service
Risks or harms associated with treatment of a disease or condition
Prevention of a particular disease or condition:
Prevention or health promotion
Early detection (screening) or genetic testing
Specific population health concerns, such as ethnic group or gender
Other, please specify:
If you aren't certain about which category to select, you may select 'don't know'
- 6. Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches?
If yes, please list what you would like to see compared:
compare aggressive or tight glucose control to less tight glucose control among pts admitted to the hospital for non-dm related problems
- 7. Desired Health Improvements: If you question focuses on:
Identification of a particular disease or condition, what improvements in identification or diagnosis would you like to see?
Treatment of a particular disease or condition, what improvements in patient symptoms or problems would you like to see?
1. changes in mortality (total and disease specific) 2. change in hypoglycemia events
- 8. Harms: Are there risks, side effects, or harms you are concerned about? If yes, please specify what those are:
harms of dm treatment include: pain, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, death, cost
- 9. Based on your answers to the previous questions, what research question(s) would you like to have answered?
what are the health risks and benefits of tight vs usual control of dm among pts hospitalized for non- dm related problems---could include: mi, surgery, non-cardiac disease, infection/pneumonia
- 10. Are there health-care focused, disease-focused, or patient-focused organizations that you see as being relevant to this issue? Who do you think we should contact as we consider your nomination?
endocrine society ada acp all dealing with adult pts
- 11. Other Information About You (OPTIONAL)
In order to help us understand the context of your health care question, it would be helpful to know more about you. The answers you give will not influence the progress of your suggestion. Thank you.
a. Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
Administrator - hospital or other organization
Continuous quality improvement group
Health benefits plan/Insurance carrier
Health Care industry (device)
Health Care industry (drug)
Health Care industry (other)
Health Care Payer/Purchaser (employer)
Health Care Payer/Purchaser (federal government)
Health Care Payer/Purchaser (state government)
Other Health Care Professional
b. Is there any other information about you that is relevant to your question?
c. Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?