Treatment To Prevent Fractures in Men and Women With Low Bone Density or Osteoporosis: An Update
Predicting Fracture Risk
Risk scoring methods combine clinical risk factors with BMD testing results. One such tool is the Fracture Risk Assessment Tool (FRAX®). FRAX was developed by the World Health Organization. It uses race- and nation-specific risk factors, combined with patient-specific BMD data (at the femoral neck), to estimate the absolute 10-year risk of major osteoporotic fractures.
Keywords: bone | low bone density | bone density | osteoporosis | fracture | osteopenia | skeletal | FRAX | BMD | bone mineral density | risk factor | femoral neck | Fracture Risk Assessment Tool
- Kanis JA, Johansson H, Oden A, et al. Assessment of fracture risk. Eur J Radiol 2009;71(3):392-7. PMID: 19716672.
- Kanis JA, Johnell O, Oden A, et al. FRAX and the assessment of fracture probability in men and women from the UK. Osteoporos Int 2008;19(4):385-97. PMID: 18292978.
- Kanis JA, Oden A, Johnell O, et al. The use of clinical risk factors enhances the performance of BMD in the prediction of hip and osteoporotic fractures in men and women. Osteoporos Int 2007;18(8):1033-46. PMID: 17323110.
- Lewiecki EM, Binkley N. Evidence-based medicine, clinical practice guidelines, and common sense in the management of osteoporosis. Endocr Pract 2009;15(6):573-9. PMID: 19491062.
- Newberry SJ, Crandall CC, Gellad WG, et al. Treatment To Prevent Fractures in Men and Women With Low Bone Density or Osteoporosis: An Update to the 2007 Report. Comparative Effectiveness Review No. 53 (Prepared by the Southern California Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. HHSA 290-2007-10062-I). Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; February 2012. AHRQ Publication No. 12-EHC023-EF. Available at www.effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/reports/lbd.cfm.
- World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Metabolic Bone Diseases. WHO Fracture Risk Assessment Tool. Available at www.shef.ac.uk/FRAX/.
Your slide tray is being processed.