Venous Thromboembolism Prophylaxis in Orthopedic Surgery
Summary of Outcomes From the RECORD Trials
This slide summarizes the results for the composite primary efficacy outcome of deep vein thrombosis (DVT), nonfatal pulmonary embolism (PE), or all-cause mortality in patients who have had THR or TKR surgery from the four Regulation of Coagulation in Orthopedic Surgery to Prevent Deep Venous Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism (RECORD) trials. Rivaroxaban decreased the risk of the composite primary outcome of DVT, nonfatal PE, or all-cause mortality in patients from all four trials. RECORD 1 and 2 showed superiority of prolonged prophylaxis with rivaroxaban versus enoxaparin (prolonged or standard prophylaxis) with a decreased risk of the primary outcome in patients undergoing THR. RECORD 3 and 4 suggest that rivaroxaban decreased the risk of the primary outcome versus enoxaparin when used for prophylaxis for patients undergoing TKR. There were no significant differences in mortality or the risk for bleeding outcomes in all four trials.
Abbreviations: 95% CI = 95-percent confidence interval; ARR = absolute risk reduction; DVT = deep vein thrombosis; PE = pulmonary embolism; THR = total hip replacement; TKR = total knee replacement
- Sobieraj DM, Coleman CI, Tongbram V, et al. Venous Thromboembolism in Orthopedic Surgery. Comparative Effectiveness Review No. 49 (Prepared by the University of Connecticut/Hartford Hospital Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-2007-10067-I). Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; March 2012. AHRQ Publication No. 12-EHC020-EF. Available at www.effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/thrombo.cfm.
- Eriksson BI, Borris LC, Friedman RJ, et al; RECORD1 Study Group. Rivaroxaban versus enoxaparin for thromboprophylaxis after hip arthroplasty. N Engl J Med 2008;358:2765-75. PMID: 18579811.
- Kakkar AK, Brenner B, Dahl OE, et al; RECORD2 Investigators. Extended duration rivaroxaban versus short-term enoxaparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after total hip arthroplasty: a double-blind, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2008;372:31-9. PMID: 18582928.
- Lassen MR, Ageno W, Borris LC, et al; RECORD3 Investigators. Rivaroxaban versus enoxaparin for thromboprophylaxis after total knee arthroplasty. N Engl J Med 2008;358:2776-86. PMID: 18579812.
- Turpie AG, Lassen MR, Davidson BL, et al; RECORD4 Investigators. Rivaroxaban versus enoxaparin for thromboprophylaxis after total knee arthroplasty: a randomised trial. Lancet 2009;373:1673-80. PMID: 19411100.
- Xarelto® Safety Information. Available at www.xareltohcp.com. Accessed August 3, 2012.
Your slide tray is being processed.