Add Presentation to Slide Tray Presentation:
Treatment To Prevent Fractures in Men and Women With Low Bone Density or Osteoporosis: An Update
What To Discuss With Your Patients
- The serious health consequences associated with LBD and fracture
- The potential benefits and adverse effects associated with LBD treatment options
- The specific instructions for how to take certain medicines such as bisphosphonates and the impact this might have on the patient's lifestyle
- The importance of adherence and how that affects reduction of fracture risk
- Risk factors for LBD and fracture including conditions and medications in the elderly that might predispose them to falls
- Approaches to avoiding falls such as addressing hazards in the home, wearing appropriate footwear, and installing night lights
- The specific side effects the patient might encounter and when the patient should inform you should these occur
- Patient values and preferences regarding treatment options
Keywords: bone | low bone density | bone density | osteoporosis | fracture | osteopenia | skeletal | calcitonin | benefits | adverse effects | diagnosis | monitoring | BMD
- Newberry SJ, Crandall CC, Gellad WG, et al. Treatment To Prevent Fractures in Men and Women With Low Bone Density or Osteoporosis: An Update to the 2007 Report. Comparative Effectiveness Review No. 53 (Prepared by the Southern California Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. HHSA 290-2007-10062-I). Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; February 2012. AHRQ Publication No. 12-EHC023-EF. Available at www.effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/reports/lbd.cfm.
Your slide tray is being processed.