Add Presentation to Slide Tray Presentation:
Analgesics for Osteoarthritis—An Update
What To Discuss With Your Patients and Their Caregivers
Things you should discuss with your patients and their caregivers regarding analgesics for osteoarthritis include:
- The importance of managing osteoarthritis-related pain and inflammation for improving quality of life and function.
- The potential benefits and adverse effects associated with different types of nonopioid analgesics based on the characteristics of the individual patient.
- Individual patient values and preferences when considering the trade-offs between benefits and adverse effects of each treatment option.
- Information on symptoms that indicate GI and/or CV adverse effects, and directions for when these symptoms should be reported.
Keywords: shared decisionmaking | patient discussions | benefits | adverse effects | nonopioid analgesics | patient values | patient preferences | symptoms
- Chou R, McDonagh M, Nakamoto E, et al. Comparative Effectiveness and Safety of Analgesics for Osteoarthritis: An Update of the 2006 Report. Comparative Effectiveness Review No. 38 (Prepared by Oregon Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. HHSA 290-2007-10057-I). Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; October 2011. AHRQ Publication No. 11(12)-EHC076-EF. Available at: http://www.effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/reports/analgesicsupdate.cfm.
Your slide tray is being processed.