Clostridium difficile Infections: Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Nonstandard Interventions for Treatment of Multiple Recurrences of CDI
In one study of 38 patients who had one or more recurrences in a 3-month period, C. difficile immune whey had an overall relapse-free response rate that was similar to metronidazole. There was not a placebo arm in this study, the sample size was not achieved, and the trial ended prematurely due to the bankruptcy of the sponsor.
Another approach under investigation for treatment of recurrent or refractory CDI is fecal flora reconstitution, which instills feces from a healthy donor into the colon of a patient with CDI. Six case studies/series have been published, four within the last 2 years. Of a total of 60 patients, 52 patients (87 percent) resolved diarrhea and experienced no further relapse during followup. Two studies reported relapse of diarrhea in 7 of 34 patients (21 percent). Followup periods ranged from 3 weeks to 8 years. Overall, there is limited low-strength evidence from 6 case studies/series with 60 patients that fecal flora reconstitution is effective in treating recurrent CDI for up to 1 year.
- Bakken JS. Fecal bacteriotherapy for recurrent Clostridium difficile infection. Anaerobe 2009 Dec; 15(6):285-9.
- Butler M, Bliss D, Drekonja D, Filice G, Rector T, MacDonald R, Wilt T. Effectiveness of Early Diagnosis, Prevention, and Treatment of Clostridium difficile Infection. Comparative Effectiveness Review No. 31 (Prepared by the Minnesota Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-02-0009.) AHRQ Publication No. 11(12)-EHC051-EF. Rockville, MD. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. December 2011. Available at: http://www.effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/index.cfm/search-for-guides-reviews-and-reports/?pageaction=displayproduct&productID=772.
- MacConnachie AA, Fox R, Kennedy DR, et al. Faecal transplant for recurrent Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhoea: a UK case series. QJM 2009 Nov; 102(11):781-4.
- Mattila E, Anttila VJ, Broas M, et al. A randomized, double-blind study comparing Clostridium difficile immune whey and metronidazole for recurrent Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhoea: efficacy and safety data of a prematurely interrupted trial. Scand J Infect Dis 2008; 40(9):702-8.
- Persky SE, Brandt LJ. Treatment of recurrent Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea by administration of donated stool directly through a colonoscope. Am J Gastroenterol 2000 Nov; 95(11):3283-5.
- Rohlke F, Surawicz C, Stollman N. Fecal flora reconstitution for recurrent clostridium difficile infection: results and methodology. J Clin Gastroenterol 2010; 44(8):567-70.
- Silverman MS, Davis I, Pillai DR. Success of self-administered home fecal transplantation for chronic Clostridium difficile infection. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2010 May; 8(5):471-3.
- Tvede M, Rask-Madsen J. Bacteriotherapy for chronic relapsing Clostridium difficile diarrhoea in six patients. Lancet 1989 May 27; 1(8648):1156-60.
- Yoon S, Brandt L. Treatment of refractory/recurrent C. difficile-associated disease by donated stool transplanted via colonoscopy: a case series of 12 patients. J Clin Gastroenterol 2010; 44(8):562-6.
Your slide tray is being processed.