Comparative Effectiveness of Therapies for Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders
Autism Spectrum Disorders (2 of 2)
Individuals with ASDs have significant impairments in social interactions, behavior, and communication. These impairments include a lack of reciprocal social interaction and joint attention (i.e., the ability of the child to use nonverbal means, like pointing, to direct others’ attention to something in which the child is interested); dysfunctional or absent communication and language skills; lack of spontaneous or pretend play; intense preoccupation with particular concepts or things; and repetitive behaviors or movements. Children with ASDs may also have impaired cognitive skills and sensory perception.
- Warren Z, Veenstra V-W, Stone W, et al. Therapies for Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders. Comparative Effectiveness Review No. 26 (Prepared by the Vanderbilt University Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-2007-10065-I). Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; April 2011. AHRQ Publication No. 11-EHC029-EF.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 4th ed. Trev. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2000.
- Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network Surveillance Year 2006 Principal Investigators for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevalence of autism spectrum disorders—Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, United States, 2006. MMWR Surveill Summ 2009;58(SS10):1-20.
- Myers SM. Management of autism spectrum disorders in primary care. Pediatr Ann 2009;38:42-9.
- Myers SM, Johnson CP, for the American Academy of Pediatrics Council on Children with Disabilities. Management of children with autism spectrum disorders. Pediatrics 2007;120:1162-82.
- Zwaigenbaum L, Bryson S, Lord C, et al. Clinical assessment and management of toddlers with suspected autism spectrum disorder: insights from studies of high-risk infants. Pediatrics 2009;123:1383-91.
Your slide tray is being processed.