Comparative Effectiveness of Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibitors and/or Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers Added to Standard Medical Therapy for Treating Patients With Stable Ischemic Heart Disease and Preserved Left Ventricular Systolic Function
Guidelines for the Use of ACEIs, ARBs, or Both to Treat Patients With Cardiac Disease (2)
To determine if the same benefits seen with ACEIs and ARBs will extend to patients without heart failure or LVSD, trials have been conducted to evaluate the use of ACEIs and ARBs — alone or in combination — in patients who have stable ischemic heart disease and preserved LVSD. Previous systematic reviews have not included recent ACEI trials conducted in this population. Additionally, no systematic review has evaluated ARB therapy or ACEI and ARB combination therapy in this population. From this body of evidence, the benefits and harms associated with the use of these therapies in this population of patients may be discerned.
- Baker WL, Coleman CI, Kluger J, et al. Effectiveness of therapies for stable ischemic heart disease. Systematic Review: Comparative Effectiveness of Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibitors or Angiotensin II–Receptor Blockers for Ischemic Heart Disease. Ann Intern Med 2009 Oct 19.
- Hunt SA, Abraham WT, Chin MH, et al, for the American College of Cardiology, the American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines, the American College of Chest Physicians, the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, and the Heart Rhythm Society. ACC/AHA 2005 guideline update for the diagnosis and management of chronic heart failure in the adult: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Update the 2001 Guidelines for the Evaluation and management of Heart Failure): developed in collaboration with the American College of Chest Physicians and the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation: endorsed by the Heart Rhythm Society. Circulation 2005;112:e154-e235.
- Matchar DB, McCrory DC, Orlando LA, et al. Systematic review: comparative effectiveness of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors or angiotensin II-receptor blockers for treating essential hypertension. Ann Intern Med 2008;148:16-29.
- Pfeffer MA, McMurray JJ, Velazquez EJ, for the Valsartan in Acute Myocardial infarction Trial Investigators. Valsartan, captopril, or both in myocardial infarction complicated by heart failure, left ventricular dysfunction, or both. N Engl J Med 2003;149:1893-1906.
- Smith SC, Allen J, Blair SN, et al, for the American Heart Association, the American College of Cardiology, and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. AHA/ACC guidelines for secondary prevention for patients with coronary and other atherosclerotic vascular disease: 2006 update: endorsed by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Circulation 2006;113:2363-72.
Your slide tray is being processed.