- Webcast: Using Deliberative Methods to Engage the Public
- Synthesizing the Outputs in Text Format
Synthesizing the Outputs of Deliberative Forum
Julia Abelson, PhD
Department of Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics
Hamilton, Ontario CANADA
Linking deliberation objectives to outputs
- What is the expected deliverable of the deliberation?
- To elicit values to inform a decision-making process?
- To provide recommendations?
- To evaluate policy options?
How will deliberation outputs be synthesized? (1)
- Internally-driven synthesis: an explicit product of deliberation
- synthesis is incorporated into the deliberation (e.g., following small group discussions)
- requires adequate time and skilled facilitation
- increases the legitimacy of the outputs
How will deliberation outputs be synthesized? (2)
2. Externally-driven synthesis: an inferred product which follows deliberation
- allows for specialist skills to be employed to produce a comprehensive synthesis
- removes synthesis activities and control over outputs from participants
- ratification of outputs with participants can improve the legitimacy of this approach