Page 2 of 24
What Is Included in This Decision Aid?
In this decision aid, you will learn about:
- The location and function of the prostate gland.
- What it means to have clinically localized prostate cancer.
- Your options after being diagnosed with clinically localized prostate cancer, including the choice to not begin treatment immediately.
- Information about treatment options that may be available to you based on available testing.
At the end of this decision aid, you will be able to save and print an information summary to use when you talk with your doctor. It will help you decide with your doctor which option for managing your prostate cancer is best for you.
What is not included in this decision aid?
- This decision aid will not talk about how to prevent prostate cancer.
- Research is not available to determine the effectiveness and safety of some newer treatment options, so these details about some newer treatments are not discussed.
- It will not include information on herbal products (like green tea). It will not include information on vitamins and minerals (like selenium). If you are currently taking any vitamins, minerals, or herbal products, make sure to tell your doctor.
- It will not talk about treatments for prostate cancer that is not localized and has already spread outside the prostate gland.